Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic

Sorry it has been so long since I have blogged. I'd like to say that it is because I am so busy teaching my children, but that would not be entirely true. The truth is that I just haven't had any idea of what to write. With that said, I will try harder and inspire myself to write more about homeschooling ideas and thoughts in the months ahead.

It has been brought to my attention that I have filled my children's schedules up and maybe not discussed the importance of the basics. I admit that I do have alot of things available for my children to do. If I didn't, I wouldn't be fulfilling the dream I have for them to actually have more opportunities than what the public school system has the ability to allow. I have never stressed before on this blog that the true basics; reading, writing, and arithmetic is ultimately the most important at stake in our children's lives. My friend has a child that is really good at reading and took the standardized test for her state requirement to homeschool. The child had never before been exposed to science. Because she was great at reading, her test scores excelled in science even though she had lacked in that area of learning. I am not encouraging any of you who homeschool to necessarily eliminate subjects just because this child did well in science with only the skill of reading. What I am saying is that homeschool teachers do not need to stress on many subjects at any time as long as the basics are being taught. If the basics are the only thing learned because of time, or finances, children can still succeed. They can still find exposure to areas of study through everyday living.

Do my children complete everything I have to offer in a day? I have one overacheiver that cannot get enough, and one child whom works at his own pace completing maybe two subjects in a day. The question is, do they learn? Yes. Even my child that completes two subjects a day at the moment is two grades ahead in his reading level. This is only because I have stressed more to my children on reading, writing and math in the beginning years.

I hope that this blog is only a tool to you to see what is available for your children to do in a day. What works for me may not work for you, but please focus on the basics so your children can succeed in the world ahead of them.

0 comments: