Saturday, July 5, 2008

My Favorite Math Curriculum

I have so far used two different math curriculum's. The one I am using right now is by far my favorite. Math U See uses blocks for manipulatives. They really take the time to make sure each child really understands the math that is being learned. Algebra and fractions are not just taught as a level in math. They are integrated into every level of the curriculum so that when the student reaches the time to learn them, it won't be such a shock. Being brought up in a school system that waited until 8th or 9th grade for algebra, did make it very difficult to understand. I feel confident that my children will not experience this. One other thing that I love about this curriculum is the fact that each curriculum level comes with a DVD showing an instructor teaching each lesson. This gives the homeschool teacher the ability to observe the class with the student so that each lesson can be reinforced. I love this for the really hard concepts that I don't quite know how to get my child to understand. The instructor is great in his way of explaining to the students at their level of thinking. Over all, this is a great math program to use, and I highly recommend it to anyone in search of one that takes the time to explain each math concept until it is understood.

0 comments: