Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It Is Healthy to Get Away Sometimes

“Mommeeee, I don’t want to go with Daddee, I want to stay with youuuu.” Sound familiar to you homeschool moms out there? The little, precious, whiney voice of your wonderful child needing only you, only to say this dreaded phrase in front of your ‘out-of-words’ husband. I cringe every time it happens, because I know my children love their daddy, but how does that make him feel when they don’t want him?

This is what Gary Ezzo calls; Separation Anxiety. I spend most of my time with these children. I am the nurturer. Most of my days are spent in teaching and imparting Godly character into them. Dad makes that possible. He needs the respect due to him. It’s hard for him to have to go to work, and miss all of these precious moments of time that are only here for a short while. He loves these children just as much as I do. Why can’t they see that? I have tried time and again to get them to not do that anymore! But on they go.

Gary Ezzo says in his “Growing Kids Gods Way” series to get away more often if Separation Anxiety is a problem. I have found that helpful. This year, I decided to be the part time homeschool mom, and let my husband take over part of the time. I learned that he is an awesome substitute teacher! Now my children don’t cry so much when I make them be with their dad at the grocery store. They have realized that I am not the only one on earth that can nurture them. So, if you are struggling like I was with separation anxiety, maybe a little bit of separation is the kind of medicine you need?

0 comments: