Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Science Curriculum is Really Cool!

Wow! Apologia science is awesome! It is written in a younger grade school level of reading, and really captivates the children. Even my preschooler is enjoying the book. We purchased the astronomy book this year, and had so much fun with it. The lunar eclipse this year had a whole new meaning and excitement once it was learned about first. The children enjoyed learning about each planet in the sky, and the sun, moon, and even asteroids! The assignments weren’t very hard to prepare for either. I am not very good at preparing for science experiments. Fortunately this curriculum helped me step out of my box sometimes by simplifying the experiments with things that were around the house. One such experiment had a flashlight and something shaped like a ball. This was to symbolize the earth, and the flashlight was the sun. What a great way to experience the rotation of the sun! My children kept a writing journal to document everything that was learned in each lesson. I liked that idea so much, we also kept a writing journal for each book that was read from the library! We really did build up a better appreciation of the solar system this year. My children retained much information from this experience.

1 comments:

Author said...

Wow, Love all of the new work on your site. We love apologia too. If you go to homeschooltools.com you can get all of the items you need for experements in one kit. Then you know you will have everything and it is all on one place. Can't wait to read more!