Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Experience in the Public School System

I grew up in the public school system. My district was one of those that passed a student just for effort and not for intelligence. Fortunately, I wasn’t one of those students. When I first started school, my intelligence level was tested above average. My school didn’t believe in skipping grades, so I was placed into a high achievers class in the second grade. This class taught the abstract way of learning. There were allot of problem solving lessons, and theme projects throughout the year. It was assumed that I already knew grammar, so that was the subject I mostly missed as a result of the extended amount of work that was expected of me. I loved the attention of being labeled as one of the smart ones. Unfortunately, I didn’t know it would hurt me like it did.

By the time I made it to junior high, I was put into another test program for high achievers with another level of abstract thinking. I believe that at this point, if my parents were able to support me and help me learn along the way, this level of learning may have benefited me. Unfortunately, they weren’t, and I missed a whole semester of classes that I should have taken, which put me back further in my education. Once I realized that I couldn’t understand anything being taught, I swallowed my pride and stepped into advanced placement classes instead, which at that time, was supposed to be a lower level of learning compared to what I was in. I fit in getting average grades.

Again, I didn’t really grasp the level of learning because I was behind in the work that was being taught due to the experimenting that was done. This of course was never realized by anyone. I had a label, and was treated with the most honor they could treat me since I was tested at above average in the first grade! By highschool it was even worse. I still had my label, so I was placed again into advanced placement classes. Still getting average grades, I couldn’t even write a paper without much turmoil. Going on to college wasn’t any easier. I was told that if high school was difficult, college would be much easier because of how different things are. What was wrong with me? I sure didn’t know at the time. Nothing was getting any easier. The big hopes I had ended, with the low self esteem.

I know now, that I was just merely passed through the system as a statistic. I graduated in advanced placement classes as a number. We all know the numbers. There are a certain amount of students that are special education, there are a certain number of students being average, and then there are the advanced. What I really wish is that the labels would go away, and the teachers to teach according to the needs of each child.

This is why I homeschool. Only the people that need to know what my children’s level is, know. There are no labels. My children learn, and are taught to their abilities. If there are weaknesses, they are not overlooked. I don’t “pass” my children. It is never assumed that they “just know” any subject. They achieve at every level. My goal is to make sure they are happy with who they are, and succeed in this unfair world!

0 comments: